Saturday, May 14, 2011

Step 1 - I'm on my way!

Okay, in my last blog I posted that I wanted to begin sharing some of the wonderful gifts the Lord has given me.  One of those is that I am mechanically inclined and I particularly understand sewing machines.  One of the ladies in my Sewing Circle at church called me the "sewing machine whisperer."  LOL  Anyway, I do troubleshoot sewing machines for my church family.  I also scrounge thrift shops for older, mechanical, all metal sewing machines for use by the Sewing Circle.  Most of the time these machines have to be tuned up.  That's where my gift comes in!  And I am going to share with you.  First, you must relax and not be afraid of your sewing machine.  I know this sounds weird, but many times I find that people are afraid to "tinker" with their machine - they are intimidated by it and afraid the might break it. 

So, step one is RELAX!  It is highly unlikely that you will do something to permanently damage your machine, unless of course you take a hammer to it in your frustration.  Each of you knows your limitations and I feel confident that you won't exceed them when troubleshooting your machine.

Step two is read your owner's manual!  This sounds like a no-brainer, but really, most people just skim over the manual.  If you bought a vintage machine and don't have a manual, feel free to contact me - I can most likely lead you to one or maybe even provide you a pdf version. 

Step three - take care of your machine!  I can't stress this enough.  Taking care of your machine involves cleaning and lubricating.  Even if you have a newer, electronic machine, it still needs to be cleaned and may need the occasional DROP of oil in certain areas.  Check your manual.  The older machines need to be oiled wherever metal touches metal.  Again, check your manual.  And please, please, please use good quality sewing machine oil, not 3-in-1 oil or somesuch.  Sewing machine oil can be found at most fabric stores in the notions section.  After finishing a project, clean in and around your feed dogs and bobbin area - it is amazing how quickly lint collects in there! 

Stay tuned for further hints!

4 comments:

  1. Wonderful post! I'm so glad to have found your blog. I love sewing machines.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! I love sewing machines too! I am glad you found the post interesting. I will be posting more on the care & feeding of sewing machines soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, Karin!
    Now where did I put that owner's manual....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really really need my tension repaired..have been trying to fix it on my own...can you walk me thru some hints very old singer 6038 white with green plastic case..
    my email is bearcub01@hotmail.com

    thank you

    jackie

    ReplyDelete