Thursday, May 19, 2011

More TLC hints for sewing machines

I'm back at it, after a slight hiccup.  That being I got laid off on Monday, with no warning - just a "here's you final paycheck, sign here."  Wow.  Anyway, I am feeling pretty good about things and even though I can't afford to be unemployed for very long I plan to make the best of things.  I know that this is all in God's plan and that He has something wonderful in store for me!  So, back to another couple of TLC hints really quickly before I need to move on to other things!

Step four - Thread.  Please, please, please, feed your machine the very best thread you can afford.  Although that "10 for $1" bin is enticing, don't do it!  Wait for a sale or a coupon and stock up on some basic colors of good quality thread.  Why, you ask?  Well, in plain English, the cheap stuff is, well, CHEAP!  It will leave a LOT of lint to quickly clog your machine; it is not as strong so your sewing project will not last as long; it will twist up wrong; break more easily; and generally create a lot more frustration to wreak havoc on your sewing serenity!  Just trust me on this one - stock up on good quality thread and keep it in a nice, dust free area.  I could go into thread weight, etc. but I will leave that for a different post.

Step five - Needles.  Change your needle often.  I know, I know, they can be expensive and it doesn't seem like there is anything wrong with it - I have often felt the same way.  However, what I have learned is that having a dull needle or one with a burr on it can cause a lot of frustration.  It can be the root of tangled and broken thread problems.  It can disguise itself as a tension problem or any other type of problem when your stitching is not coming out right!  Again, save those coupons or look for a sale and stock up on good quality needles.  Make sure you use the right size needle for your fabric type/weight.  I keep a pre-marked TLC pincushion nearby with the size needle already marked on it so that if I have to change needle size or type and the needle I am removing still is in good condition I can store it in that pincushion and won't have to guess at what size or type it is or use a triple-magnification magnifying glass to read the teensy weensy numbers imprinted on the needle!  I also know that it is a "used" needle that still has some stitching life left in it!

Well, that's all for right now.  Back to the job hunt!  Take care everyone!

3 comments:

  1. I can honestly say that over the years I've finally learned all five of the tips you offer here. The one about thread was the last to be learned. I used to keep all my old thread and had a rainbow of colors on hand. During one sewing project, my thread kept breaking. I finally phoned a friend to ask if she had any ideas why this would happen. She said to buy new thread. I did, and since then I've never had this problem. Although I do hate how expensive thread has become and how much smaller the spools are. Grrr.

    May God bless your job hunt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right about the thread! Although I find it on sale quite often and use my coupons, it can still be costly. But it is definitely worth it in the long run, if for no other reason than easing the frustration factor. Thank you for your good wishes on the job hunt. I just know that the Lord has something wonderful in line for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hopefully the Lord has provided you a job by now!
    Great advice and so true. Thanks for the tip about the pin cushion!

    ReplyDelete