Thursday, May 6, 2010

National Day of Prayer

Today is our 59th observance of the National Day of Prayer.  While the law formalizing its observance was enacted in 1952, prior to that our country was called to observe a day of prayer - once by the Continental Congress in 1775, once by President John Adams in 1798 and again by President Abraham Lincoln in 1863.  John Adams called for citizens of all faiths to pray "that our country may be protected from all the dangers which threaten it."  Abraham Lincoln stated "...it is the duty of nations as well as of men, to own their dependence upon the overruling power of God, to confess their sins and transgressions, in humble sorrow, yet with assured hope that genuine repentance will lead to mercy and pardon; and to recognize the sublime truth, announced in the Holy Scriptures and proven by all history, that those nations only are blessed whose God is the Lord."  God tells us in 2 Ch 7:14 "If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land."  Our nation desparately needs to be healed and protected from the dangers which threaten it.  I am blessed to live in a country where I may take a moment to bow my head in prayer - both in thanks for this wonderful land we live in and to petition the throne of God for healing of this land.

1 comment:

  1. Our nation has such a rich heritage of prayer. I hope our next president will, too.

    ReplyDelete