Sunday, June 21, 2009

Happy Father's Day to all!

I lost my Dad to cancer in January of 2008 - one week shy of his 80th birthday. It is still hard to believe he is gone from this earth. He was a fighter pilot in the United States Air Force and he was my hero. He left me with so many wonderful memories, life experiences and good lessons. When I was sitting with him toward the end, I shared with him some of those times and it occurred to me that he may not have realized just how important some of the things were that he had taught me! He looked at me in wonder when I thanked him for not letting me drive my "new" car (a used Rambler Station Wagon he had just bought me for the princely sum of $500!) until I had read the owner's manual. Well, I read it and then went to tell him that I was finished (or so I thought) and to seek the keys to my chariot! He then took me out to the driveway and had me show him that I knew what the various parts and check-points were in the engine compartment, that I could check all fluid levels, AND he made me change a tire! A perfectly good tire, I might add! But you know, that was a very valuable lesson that came in quite handy more than once in my life. I am so grateful for everything he taught me and for the wonderful life I have experienced and I am especially grateful that I was able to tell him, in person, what a wonderful father he was. I miss him dearly and still find myself reaching for the phone to ask his opinion on something. Take a moment today, if you can, to thank your Dad.

2 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear of your loss, Karin. I remember that Rambler! What a great lesson for the car. I shall have to share that with Cynthia and Tim to use for their kids! I still find myself wanting to call both Mom and Dad for different things. I praise the Lord that they were my parents!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I know I will see him again. Please do share that lesson - it has been a good one!

    ReplyDelete