Thursday, September 24, 2009

Stockpiling

I have been reading a lot of blogs about stockpiling lately and decided to throw my two pennies worth in! Stockpiling is not just for emergency preparedness – but rather it is a way of life for many people – particularly those who closely adhere to a budget – which nowadays is nearly everyone I know! To me, stockpiling means keeping staples on hand and buying often-used items when they are on sale. It also means that I cook large quantities of dishes we like a lot and freezing them to have on-hand for a quick meal. Some folks call this OAMC (once a month cooking), but I am not that organized – I cook large quantities when the mood strikes me or when I get a really good deal on one of the main ingredients, like meat. I like having meals ready to pull out of the freezer on those days when I am not inspired to cook! The other “stockpiling” thing I do is canning and/or dehydrating – “putting up” as my Grandma called it. We are blessed in this nation to have access to many fruits and vegetables all year long – but when something is in season, especially if it is grown locally, I take full advantage of the low prices and can, freeze or dehydrate for future use. My garden also provides many of the things I use – herbs, veggies, etc. But you don’t have to have a huge garden to take advantage of this way of living. It only makes sense to me to be able to put together a healthy meal, or luscious homemade baked goods by going to my pantry or freezer and pulling out everything I need. Check out some of these ideas for yourself, if you are interested in saving time, money and, sometimes, your sanity! Get started by visiting Rhonda at her wonderful Blog down---to---earth - she even has photos of her pantry and some good recipes as well!

7 comments:

  1. Great Subject. I too "stockpile" when items I use regularly are on sale. It is harder now that there are only 2 of us as I tend to buy too much and then don't have room for it. I need to learn how to Stockpile for 2 to be efficient.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great advice =) Have you seen the Bountiful Baskets? Cynthia told me about them and I have gotten them for about a month - very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marlene, I totally understand - there are just the two of us now as well, but I never did learn to cook for just two, so the freezer is my answer to that problem. Plus, there is always someone at church who appreciates leftovers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kathy, no I haven't seen the Bountiful Baskets - do tell! I was a member of a produce co-op, but had to give that up recently. But I still have connections to some of the produce folks and can get some smokin' deals still.

    ReplyDelete
  5. roflol! Try cooking for one! hehe =) The freezer is my friend. And so are the chickens =p lol!

    Here's the link to the Bountiful Baskets:
    http://www.bountifulbaskets.org/

    I have been very happy with what I have gotten =) Cynthia has bought stuff from them for about a year. They have really expanded since she started.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Kathy! I googled them yesterday and looked at what they offer in my area, plus I found some comments on other websites about their experiences with Bountiful Baskets - it appears that everyone has good things to say about their experience, and I see they use some of the same suppliers I am familiar with. I will have to look into it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have really enjoyed the produce - fresh and good - both the organic and the conventional =)

    ReplyDelete